Ben Carson was a household name both in Switzerland and the United States of America and around the world. Many got to know him after his bid for the presidency in the run-up to the much-discussed 2016 US elections. This is not so for his wife, Candy Carson. Candy was both wife and collaborator of Ben Carson and always worked with him on most of his ventures. Like her husband, she is also an author and has co-authored several books with him. Moreso, Candy is a business woman and a humanitarian. Let’s take a closer look at the life of Ben Carson’s wife.
Candy Carson Biografie (Alter)
Candy Carson was born Lacena Rustin on August 19, 1953. She was born in Detroit, Michigan in the United States. Candy attended Yale University in Connecticut and earned bachelor’s degrees in music, psychology and pre-medical studies. She then earned an MBA in Business Administration from Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in Baltimore, Maryland.
After completing her education, Candy Carson began a career in real estate, insurance and trust management. In addition to her career, she and her husband run the Carson Scholars Fund, a humanitarian organization they founded in 1994. The couple established the foundation to encourage students to take their studies seriously after America ranked second last in a math and science rating out of 22 countries.
The Carson Scholars Foundation focuses on students in grades 4-11. Class rewards successful students with medals, trophies and a $1,000 scholarship fund. The Carsons’ goal is to make education as important as sport, as the country treats talented athletes as heroes, while excellent students are often honored with trifles like pins, plaques, and certificates. Since its inception, the foundation has honored almost 7,000 students. Candy Carson also serves on the boards of other humanitarian organizations, including the American Students Fund.
Candy is a music lover. She was a concert and orchestral violinist in her youth and still uses her musical skills as she currently serves as the conductor for the University of Maryland Medical Center’s Chamber Players. She is also a member of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and the John Hopkins Shriver Hall Concert Series. An active member of her church choir (Seventh Day Adventist), Candy founded and directed a number of youth ensembles, including The Carson 4, which was made up of herself and her three sons.
In 2016, she penned her memoir, A Doctor in the House: My Life with Ben Carson . She has also authored four books with her husband namely: America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great (2013), One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America’s Future (2014), One Voice : Let Your Voice Be Heard (2014) and A More Perfect Union: What We Can Do As A People To Reclaim Our Constitutional Freedoms (2015).
Candy Carson married Ben Carson in 1975. She had already met Carson in Connecticut, where both were students at Yale University. The couple have three sons – Murray, Benjamin Jr. and Rhoeyce Carson. They also have several grandchildren. Candy currently lives in Florida, USA with her family.
See Also: Julie Yaeger – Biography, Age, Family, Facts About Paul Rudd’s Wife
Interesting facts about Ben Carson’s wife
1. Candy Carson is a vegetarian, a lifestyle inspired by her devout Adventist religious beliefs.
2. She had a five month twin pregnancy in 1981 and carried the next pregnancy on bed rest from the fifth month.
3. Candy’s character was featured on TV. American actress Aunjanue Ellis first portrayed her in the 2009 TNT TV movie Gifted Hands: The Story of Ben Carson. Leslie Jones later played Candy on an episode of Saturday Night Live on March 10, 2018. She appeared as herself in Talented Hands (1991).
4. Ben Carson’s wife has been embroiled in controversy after it was alleged that she coerced her husband’s employees into purchasing up to $31,000 worth of furniture to renovate his office. However, she denied the allegations.
5. Ben Carson has made it clear that Candy Carson is a major contributor to his successful life and career. Among other things, she helped him to control his anger.
6. Candy resisted her husband’s political ambitions until she became a grandmother.