Living in an ever-growing digital age means that we are increasingly dependent on new technologies and connected devices 24 hours a day. As a result, we share information and data with companies, governments, and other organizations. The importance of protecting that information has resulted in a new figure appearing in many organizations that plays a vital role: the IT security expert.
To prevent cyber attacks and realize digital protection, the cybersecurity area is expanding rapidly. Many organizations are looking to hire cybersecurity experts to help protect their digital assets and eliminate vulnerabilities. But what exactly does cybersecurity mean? And what should you do to enjoy a professional career in this constantly growing sector?
In this post we will see the importance of computer security and everything you need to know about what to study to be an expert in cybersecurity.
WHAT IS CYBERSECURITY?
Also known as computer security, it refers to the set of technologies, processes and practices designed to protect networks, devices, programs and data from computer attacks, damage or unauthorized access.
Cybersecurity is important because government, military, corporate, financial, and medical organizations collect, process, and store amounts on computers and other devices. An important part of that data can be confidential information, be it intellectual property, financial data, personal information or other types of data. Unauthorized access to that information could have negative consequences. In fact, as early as 2013, security and intelligence experts warned governments around the world that cyberattacks and digital espionage were the number one security threat.
For a successful cybersecurity strategy to be implemented, organizations must consider all the elements that could be affected such as:
- Network Security – The process of protecting the network from unwanted users, attacks, and intrusions.
- Application security: require constant updates and testing to ensure these programs are safe from attack.
- Data security: within networks and applications is the data. Protecting company and customer information is a separate layer of security.
- Identity management: it is a process of understanding the access that each individual has in an organization.
- Database and infrastructure security : Everything on a network involves databases and physical equipment. Protecting these devices is equally important.
- Cloud security – Many files are in digital environments or “the cloud.” Data protection in a 100% online environment presents a host of challenges.
- Mobile Security – Mobile phones and tablets pose virtually all types of security challenges in and of themselves.
- Disaster recovery: In the event of a breach, data from a natural disaster or other event must be protected and business must continue. To do this, you will need a plan.
STUDY CYBERSECURITY: WHAT DO I HAVE TO KNOW?
While a Master in Information Technology Security may seem for people with a background in technology, the curriculum generally includes aspects that appeal to all profiles. At the European University, for example, it includes modules on auditing and legal aspects of telecommunications security, as well as more typical modules such as software and program security and risk analysis.
ADVANTAGES OF TRAINING AS A CYBERSECURITY SPECIALIST
If you choose to study a master’s degree in cybersecurity, you will have access to a job market with many benefits including:
- A profession in demand
The technology security industry is relatively new, and companies increasingly recognize that they need experts to protect them from cyberattacks. There is a global shortage of cybersecurity professionals, estimated to reach 3.5 million by 2021.
- Variety of specialties
Professionals working in the digital security industry can further specialize in areas such as the dark web, digital forensics, and cyber warfare. Depending on your technical experience, you may be working on network, application, or data security in an operational environment. You could even be an ethical hacker.
- Have a decisive impact
Recovering from an online attack can be very costly, so having the right people in charge of protecting you against it is vital. By working in cybersecurity, you have the opportunity to make a real impact on your business.
- Constant progress sector
With the evolution of threats and the expansion of our digital networks, professionals must be aware of industry trends and always ahead of cybercriminals. This industry is in constant flux, making for an exciting career with plenty of variety.