How to be a VET teacher
Being a teacher at any level of the education sector , be it primary, secondary or university, is probably one of the most rewarding jobs due to the impact it has on the lives of students. The possibilities and opportunities for professional growth within the education sector are endless. One of the options to choose is to be a VET teacher .
If you want to focus your professional career in the education sector, in this post we tell you how to be a VET teacher. In addition, to know what are the necessary requirements and the most relevant training to prepare the opposition process.
HOW TO BE A VET TEACHER?
The vocational aspect is important for many professional careers, including teaching. Other examples include doctors, police, and firefighters. However, to work in these professions, it is also important to meet educational requirements. In the case of becoming a Vocational Training teacher , there are basic requirements and specific requirements.
The basic requirements are:
- Be 18 years of age or older and not exceed the maximum age.
- Be a Spanish citizen. Citizens of the European Union and other countries that have agreements with Spain can also sit for the opposition exams.
- Not suffer from any illness or be affected by physical or mental limitation incompatible with the performance of the functions corresponding to those of a VET teacher.
- Accredit knowledge of the co-official language of the calling autonomous community, in accordance with its regulations.
- Not having been separated, through disciplinary proceedings, from the service of any of the public administrations, nor being disqualified from the exercise of public functions.
QUALIFICATION REQUIRED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL TRAINING TEACHER
In addition to the basic points, other fundamental requirements to be a technical professional training teacher are the necessary qualifications:
- Have a university degree that is related to the specialty you choose to teach or a higher degree training cycle that is related to the specialty.
- For university graduates: be in possession of the MASTER’S DEGREE IN TEACHER TRAINING . This is mandatory to teach in any type of center, both public and private.
- For people who have a training cycle, it is essential to have the FP CAP (Official Certificate of Pedagogical and Didactic Training for Professional Training Teachers without a career).
OPPOSITIONS TO BE A FP TEACHER
To be a teacher in a public center in Spain, you have to present yourself and pass some FP exams. With that, it allows you to access the public employment job bank. The FP competitions are called by the Ministry of Education and the Autonomous Communities and are normally held at the end of June of each year.
The oppositions consist of three exams
- A practical test in which you will have to demonstrate the specific knowledge of the teaching specialty you want to apply for
- A written exercise in which you will have to develop a topic of several chosen at random related to your specialty.
- A presentation of a didactic program. Your pedagogical aptitude and your mastery of the techniques necessary for teaching will be evaluated.
After passing the oppositions, the most normal thing is that you start working in a public school or institute according to your specialty.
OTHER CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
There are also other ways to work as a VET teacher, for example in private universities or institutes. Each has its own different process and you should contact them directly.
In addition to sending your CV, it is usually important to show a variety of skills and experiences to work as a VET teacher in a private institution: awards, merits, diverse experiences, complementary training , etc.
“A teacher affects eternity; he never knows where his influence ends ”(Henry Adams, American journalist, historian, scholar, and novelist).
In short, people who have a vocation linked to teaching should consider Vocational Training as one of the possibilities to advance in their professional careers. To do this, the key is to have a good, broad and multidisciplinary education, something that we offer at the European University .